EXXXtreme Chocolate Cake
If you are looking for a wonderfully dense and moist chocolate cake, the EXXXtreme Chocolate Cake is worth a try. We turn the flavor up to 11 with coffee, salt and Kahlúa and enrich the texture with JELL-O instant chocolate pudding and extra eggs.
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60% to 85% cocoa)
2/3 cup Kahlua (can substitute with water but why?)
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups sugar
1 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
11 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 3.9oz package JELL-O instant chocolate pudding
1 tablespoon baking soda
1) Preheat your oven to 300F (150C) while preparing two 8-inch X 3-inch pans with butter or cooking spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
2) Sift the flour, dry pudding mix and baking soda together and set aside.
3) Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler (or microwave), stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4) In a small saucepan bring the Kahlua to a boil, remove from heat and add the espresso powder, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, whisking swiftly until it is smooth with no lumps. Set aside to cool.
5) In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the butter on medium speed for approximately three minutes. Slowly add the sugar and mix until the batter is fluffy, about three minutes more.
6) Add the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl at least once.
7) Pour in the melted chocolate and continue mixing for one minute to incorporate.
(Pro-Tip: When pouring in the liquid, do so slowly within the space between the turning paddle and the side of the bowl to avoid splashing and to allow for better incorporation.)
8) Reduce the speed to low and alternate adding the flour mix and liquid cocoa mixture. When completely combined, pour into the prepared pans.
9) Bake the two 8-inch pans for 60-70 minutes. To test when ready, the top of the cake will spring back when touched or you can use the toothpick test where when you insert a toothpick it should come out free of batter or crumbs.
10) Lick the bowl.
Chef Robert Teddy, the originator of this EXXXtreme Chocolate Cake recipe recommends the following frosting and filling:
2 cups (16 ounces) heavy cream
16 ounces bittersweet dark chocolate pieces
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1) Place the chocolate pieces and heavy cream in a double boiler (or microwave), stirring occasionally, until the cream and chocolate have combined to create a creamy chocolate blend.
2) Add the butter and corn syrup. Stir until melted and combined.
3) Cool and cover with plastic wrap, touching the top of the ganache to prevent a skin from forming. Set aside until it thickens enough to spread like frosting.
When the frosting is cool but not hard and the cake is cool you are ready to assemble and frost your EXXXtreme Chocolate Cake.
Apply a coating of frosting to the top of one cake. 1/3-1/2 inch thick should do. (I did say this is eXXXtreme!) Place the other cake on top and frost the entire cake.
(Or you can do what I do and make two separate cakes. I split one and follow the above frosting procedure and double wrap and freeze the second cake for future use.)
Chef Teddy’s EXXXTREME Tip: For added punch, add crumbled Oreo cookies into the ganache used to fill the EXXXtreme Chocolate Cake.
Thank you to Chef Robert Teddy of M. Antoinette in Las Vegas for this recipe.
What do you think about this recipe? Easy enough right?
Let me know in the comments how yours turned out or if you have any other PRO-TIPS.